Monday, June 15, 2015

Refurbishing a Speedometer


                                     
Yanked out the speedometer today to see if I could clean up that clock face and maybe replace the missing red lens.


Lifted up the edge of the chrome metal bezel  with a flat head screw driver, I  needed to be careful as I'm going to reuse it 




Nifty trick I learned in one of the forums I frequent  for removing the needle.



Hey look there's the missing red lens, Unfortunately the speedometer face plate paint is beyond saving.  Oh well I could design one & have it printed on vinyl.





I used to create things like these from my previous job, so it was a breeze getting the layout right.  It was a fun design exercise all in all


Playing around with the colors and fonts using Illustrator



Test printed one to see if the size is exact, seems okay.  The car decal shop I went to will UV coat it to prevent the ink fading from the harsh Manila sun.  They also have a minimum printing size of 8" x 11", which means I could cram other stuff I want to print on there so there's no wasted space.











Since I have an old Kawasaki speedometer lying around, and I was in the zone, I designed a faceplate for it as well.  

0 comments:

Retromech Copyright 2008. Powered by Blogger.